Friday, December 11, 2009

Taking a Spiritual Inventory

The full text by Kathleen Dowling Singh can be viewed by clicking the link above. In her words, " It is not too late to take stock of our lives, even in the last weeks and days of terminal illness. And for those of us in the midst of life, in the apparent safety and security of our health, it is not too early. No matter how much time we have left to live, the answers to the following questions, voiced in the quiet honesty of our own hearts, provide direction to the rest of our living." 
Who have I been all this time?
How have I used my gift of a human life?
What do I need to "clear up" or "let go of" in order to be more peaceful?
What gives my life meaning?
For what am I grateful?
What have I learned of truth and how truthfully have I learned to live?
What have I learned of love and how well have I learned to love?
What have I learned about tenderness, vulnerability, intimacy, and communion?
What have I learned about courage, strength, power, and faith?
What have I learned of the human condition and how great is my compassion?
How am I handling my suffering?
How can I best share what I've learned?
What helps me open my heart and empty my mind and experience the presence of Spirit?
What will give me strength as I die? If I remembered that my breaths were numbered, what would be my relationship to this breath right now?
These questions are contained in the "End-of-Life" tools found on the PBS website devoted to journalist Bill Moyer's 4-part series "on our own terms" that aired in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment